Beth Bakes: Chocolate Chip Bananut Muffins

Friday, May 22, 2015

Hey friends! Happy Friday and long holiday weekend! I've been lucky to have some time on my hands and so I've been back to a comfort zone of mine, the kitchen! Although, I have recently accepted a new job (yay!) and so I'll be back to 9 to 5 lifestyle.

Anyway, ever since I was allowed to use the oven without supervision I have been baking. I went to private school and never got the home economics class my public school friends had. I'm glad I didn't have that class because I'm not sure I would like baking as much if I was "forced" to participate in it.

Baking is something I got from my grandmothers. I think it skipped a generation because my mom can only bake boxed mixes. Nothing wrong with that though! I love me some confetti cupcakes!

My Nana and Grandmother were always busy making Christmas cookies. My Grandmother used to make the most thin cut out cookies. She even had a recipe for chocolate cut out cookies which I've never seen anyone else offer chocolate! My Nana has a snickerdoodle cookie recipe that is on point. You can eat them alone but sprinkle them over ice cream and you say, "I can die now!"


Anyway getting off topic. I created a new recipe that I am super proud of because these are by far the most delicious muffins I have made in a long time! These muffins can be gluten-free if you have GF protein powder and rolled oats (see the links below)!



 Chocolate Chip Bananut Muffins

What You'll Need:

2 ripe (or overripe) bananas
1/4 cup liquid egg whites
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup almond milk
1 scoop cinnamon protein powder or 2 tsp cinnamon (if you don't have protein powder)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips (your choice...I used milk chocolate because it's what I had on hand)

Directions:

1. Set oven for 350 degrees.
2. Mash bananas in a bowl.
3. Then add the rest of the ingredients except for the walnuts and chocolate chips.
4. Mix ingredients together.
5. Fold in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.
6. Once incorporated, divide the mixture between a muffin tin, makes 12 muffins.
    *I like to use foil lined cupcake liners.*
7. Bake muffins for 25 minutes.
8. Cool muffins. Eat what you want and freeze the rest in a freezer safe container.
When you want to eat a frozen muffin you can,

1. Take it out of the freezer the night before and place it in a sandwich bag to thaw or
2. You can remove the foil liner and microwave for 1-2 minutes and enjoy!

I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I have been! If you're not down for chocolate for breakfast you can omit it and add another 1/4 cup walnuts or another nut. Let me know if you make them! Use the #hauteinhell to show me how yours turned out!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!