Beth Bakes: Gluten-Free & Vegan Protein Blueberry Muffins

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Hey friends! Who's hungry? I've been back in the kitchen lately and it feels so good. I can't believe how much I missed it. I feel comfortable in the kitchen but it's also a place where I like to experiment and push the envelope.

Usually high schools work home economics into the curriculum. That was not the case if you attended Catholic school. Since you have Theology everyday that alleviates a spot where you could have an elective or study hall. Catholic schools also have limited budgets and so there were no resources to build an extra kitchen. The only kitchen was in the cafeteria and that was off limits.
I'm actually glad I didn't learn to bake in high school because I may not have developed the same feelings toward it as I have now. Baking is how I show people I care, it calms me down when I'm stressed or helps me express myself creatively.

I started out making this recipe with the intention of it being gluten-free. In the end it also wound up being vegan as well! I have been trying to eat more gluten-free as it is easier on my stomach, even though I do not have celiac disease.

I am not vegan, but I have to say I don't eat a lot of animal by-products. I've never liked milk and chose to drink or use almond milk instead. I eat coconut milk ice cream if I'm in the mood. I eat cheese but don't keep in on hand. I do eat eggs but not frequently on their own. I only really use the liquid egg whites for my protein waffles.
Anyway, enough blabbing! Here is the delicious recipe below!

Wet Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 individual serving of unsweetened applesauce

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup plant based protein powder ( I use Perfect Fit)*
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp GF ground flax seed
1 1/2 cup blueberries

* I used cinnamon Perfect Fit. If you don't have cinnamon flavor powder, use 1tsp cinnamon)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Put all wet ingredients in a small bowl.

3. Use a medium bowl for dry ingredients (minus the blueberries).

4. Slowly incorporate the wet into the dry ingredients.

5. Once the batter is well mixed, add the blueberries and combine, gently.

6. The batter will be think constancy. Take a spoonful of batter and place it into a foil cupcake liner. Press the batter down to fill out the liner. Continue till all 12 muffin liners are filled.

7. Place muffins in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

8. The batter will not rise. Muffins will have crunchy outside but soft inside. Enjoy!

9. Freeze leftover muffins in the freezer for another day!

The muffins will look dry on top but they are soft on the inside!

Makes 12 muffins.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!