Beth Bakes: Salads, Muffins & Dips OH MY!

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Happy Sunday Runday! I just got back from the gym working out with my Mom. Every Sunday, we meet up, work out and weigh in. The weekly weigh ins keep me on track and let me know where I need to improve for next week. Anyway, enough about fitness let's get down to the reason you're here, FOOD!

I think the number one common misconception of someone who lives a healthy lifestyle is that we miss out on junk food, sweet treats and that we starve ourselves. I'm here to show you that you can enjoy eat healthy, delicious, good for you food.
Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins

First up, are two recipes for muffins I made this week. These recipes come from Healthy Italian but I tweaked her recipes. I previously posted a muffin recipe from her here. Now you're probably thinking "Oh my gosh how are you going to eat 24 muffins by yourself before they go bad?" Fist of all, I freeze them and take out only what I need for when I need them. Second, I give two muffins every Sunday to my Dad for him to enjoy during the week.

Apple Cinnamon Protein Muffins
Ingredients:

1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup oat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Perfect Fit)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup organic unsweetened applesauce (I used no sugar added applesauce)
1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup sugar free maple syrup (I omitted this from my recipe)
1/3 cup liquid egg whites
1 cup diced apples (I used Golden Delicious)

1. Mix all ingredients together and divide batter among 12 foil cupcake liners.
2. Bake at 400 degrees fro 18 - 20 minutes.

Each muffin is 86 calories.

If you want to freeze them like I do. Place cooled muffins in a food storage container (I like these) and toss into freezer. When you want to eat the muffins. Take the desired amount out of the freezer and set out for 3 hours. They should be ready to eat after thawing for three hours. I like to cut mine in half and "toast under the broiler for a few minutes. You can spread honey or peanut butter on them or enjoy them naked!

This week I had two overripe bananas and decided that I need to make banana bread or they would go to waste (not cool). But alas, I don't own a loaf pan! Not to panic, I made muffins out of Healthy Italian's banana bread recipe!

Banana Walnut Muffins (based off of Healthy Italian Banana Bread recipe)
Banana Walnut Muffins
Ingredients:

2 overripe banans
1 large farm fresh egg (I used 3 Tbsp of liquid egg whites instead)
1 cup oat flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce (I used no sugar added)
1 Tbsp raw honey (I omitted this from my recipe)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Mash bananas in the bowl.
2. Add all other ingredients and mix until incorporated.
3. Divide batter between 12 foil cupcake liners or grease cupcake pan and forgo liners all together.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Each muffin is 81 calories.

Let cool before storing in containers and freezing. Enjoy with your favorite peanut butter or with nothing at all!

Chop Salad with Ham and Honey Dijon Dressing
Ingredients:

2 cups baby spinach
25g red onion
8g chopped walnuts
1/2 cup cucumber
1/4 cup matchstick carrots
1/3 cup red cabbage
2.5 oz tomato
3 oz Ham lunch meat (I used Virginia Brand Ham from Oscar Mayer)

Dressing:

1/8 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
2 tsp Dijon mustard (I used Jack Daniels brand)

1. Assemble salad, presentation is everything!
2. Mix yogurt and mustard together until blended.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy!

This salad isn't rocket science but I decided to share because it looks so pretty and you might be interested in a low calorie salad dressing. This salad with dressing is only 239 calories! I ate this for dinner Friday night because a co-worker had brought in fresh tomatoes from her garden and was inspired to have a fresh salad because I had to use up the lunch meat before it went bad.

Chicken Waldorf Salad
Ingredients:

1 Joseph's mini flax, oat bran and whole wheat pita
3 oz fully cooked chicken strips (I used Tyson brand)
1/8 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup seedless grapes (red or green doesn't matter)
1/4 cup apple (I used Gold Delicious leftover from my muffins)
8g chopped walnuts

1. Cut pita in half.
2. Mix all other ingredients together until everything is combined.
3. Fill your pita halves and enjoy!

Again, a very simple recipe but thought I'd share because it was absolutely delicious. I made this for dinner Wednesday night when I had my online class. I prepared the salad when I got home from work and put it in the fridge and then made myself the sandwich right before class started. This is a great idea for work. You can make the salad at night and then assemble your sandwich in the morning. The sandwich is 268 calories.

Greek "Coodles"
Ingredients:

2 cups cucumber (Sliced into linguine noodles with the help of a spiralizer)
2 oz canned roasted bell pepper strips
25g red onion
3 oz fully cooked chicken strips (I used Tyson brand)
2.5 oz grape tomatoes
2 Tbps hummus (I used Tribe brand, spicy chipotle)

1. Slice your cucumber into noodles and place on plate.
2. Load on your toppings. Feel free to add olives and feta cheese, I'm not a fan so I didn't use them.
3. Spread the hummus on top like your tomato sauce.

I think I might like "coodles" more than "zoodles!" This recipes has become one of my new favorites and I look forward to making this again soon! This recipe was inspired by a beautiful cucumber I bought at my local farmer's market. The entire dish is only 249 calories, so go in for seconds!

So we went from breakfast (muffins), to lunch/dinner entrees (salads) so it's obviously time to talk about dessert! Dessert is my favorite part of going out to dinner. If I don't leave room for dessert, you know something is seriously wrong. This dessert is easy, inexpensive and absolutely scrumptious! It's also very diverse!

Whipped Pudding Mix Dip
Ingredients:

1 8oz container of whipped topping (I used Fat Free Cool Whip)
1 1oz package of sugar free pudding mix (I used Jello brand, pistachio flavor)

1. Thaw contain of whipped topping for about 4 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Open lid and dump pudding mix in and combine.
3. Mix until combined but be sure to not over mix and let whipped topping get soupy.
4. Enjoy with cookies (I used Snackimals, oatmeal variety), pretzels, graham crackers or even top your Perfect Fit pancakes with it instead of syrup!

This dip is only 62 calories (based on the use of fat free Cool Whip and Jello sugar free pistachio pudding mix) per 1 oz serving. Perfect late night snack to satisfy your sweet tooth but not feel guilty afterwards! It's even delicious not using dippers... Have fun with this and enjoy mixing with other flavors of pudding mix, just be sure to change the calories as each variety is different!

There you have it delicious, flavorful and filling healthy recipes. Enjoy them and share them with friends and family. Getting fit is easier when you have someone to hold you accountable! Have a great week and if you're starting the Tone It Up #FriskyFall program on Monday, get ready to see a new and even more amazing you in 8 weeks! See you soon with another post later this week!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!