My Style: Valentine's Day Gifts

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Hey friends! I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while but I've been very busy with work. I come home with intentions to blog but after I make dinner I'm pretty much exhausted. This Sunday I had brought my computer to my parents' house where it's nice a quiet and I can accomplish a lot. However, their internet went down and I was unable to blog.

Enough of my excuses! Today I'm talking about Valentine's Day. I personally don't celebrate the holiday. I'm a firm believer in showing you care 365 and I'm not about PDA. However, I never say no to a gift so... twist my arm!

I've created a list of Dos & Don'ts in the gift giving department. I've created this list with mostly men in mind because they are clueless. Here it goes:
Don't buy

Don't buy her 12 dozen red roses...
Do Buy
Why: Flowers die within a week, tossed out and forgotten. This diffuser smells like the real deal and will last for months if not a year!
Don't Buy
Don't buy her a box of chocolates...
... Do buy her The Chocolate Bar Eye Palette from Too Faced.
Do Buy
Why: No girl wants to be gifted with high calorie carbohydrates that they'll feel bad about eating later. This chocolate bar look alike opens to reveal beautiful hues of brown and other warm colors to create playful looks for evening and day. Bonus: it smells like chocolate!
Don't Buy
Don't buy her lingerie...
... Do buy her Hanky Panky Roses.
Do Buy
Why: Girls don't need another slinky number that will sit in a drawer until the next sexy occasion. Give her sexy, lacey underwear that she can wear all year round! This brand makes one size fits all so you don't have to worry about picking the wrong size and getting in a fight!
Don't Buy
Don't buy her dinner...
...Do take her to a couple's cooking class.
Do Buy
Why: She probably cooks dinner for you already. You probably take her out to dinner every weekend. Try something new and cook something together! If you can't find a cooking class in your area or they are all booked. Pick out an appetizer, entrée and dessert recipes you can agree on and make them together in your own kitchen. Don't forget the wine!
Don't Buy
Don't buy her a card...
...Do buy her a custom lip balm and put a sweet message on it instead.
Do Buy
Why: Cards get tossed out the day after the occasion. Stop the wasteful cycle and buy her a custom (eco friendly!) lip balm instead. With all the cold weather every girl can use another lip balm. This gift is inexpensive but personal. Just make sure you pick flavors you know she'll love!
Don't Buy
Don't buy her cake...
... Do buy her sweet treat scented candles like Red Velvet Cupcake or Raspberry Peach Macaron.
Do Buy
Why: Again, don't buy her food for Valentine's Day. We don't feel sexy after eating large quantities of food. You want us in a good mood, right? Candles are useful all year round. Light the candle and snuggle up together to watch a movie.
Don't Buy
 Don't buy her an engagement ring...
...Do buy her jewelry though. But something from Tiffany's (she's worth it...if not, why you with her?) or a charm bracelet like Alex & Ani that is something personal between the two of you.
Do Buy
Why: Getting engaged on Valentine's Day is so unoriginal, be above that. Pick out a beautiful piece of jewelry that she will want to wear everyday. Stand out and get something other than a heart, too. Don't buy her a heart necklace that looks like butt cheeks and was designed by a washed up actress. Get my drift?
Don't
Don't get all emotional in a poem...
...Do show her your crafty side with scrapbook kit and have it framed.
Do
Why: While she might keep the poem...it will get hidden and stuffed away in a shoebox under her bed. If you're a guy who likes to show is emotion (you go, Glen Coco!) then try this idea. Purchase a Project Life kit and create a scrapbook page and have it framed. Then she can have your love on display all the time.
Don't
 Don't tell her to relax...
...Do give her time to relax by setting up a spa day for her!
Do
Why: We know as lady we can get pretty uptight and you want to tell us to relax but that only makes use freak out more. If you notice things are headed that way, derail the crazy train and send her on a spa trip! Give her the works: manicure, pedicure, full body massage and facial!

Lastly, NEVER give your girlfriend/fiance/wife/side piece/ a kitchen appliance for ANY occasion. Have you never seen Father of the Bride?! Don't be the douche that sets women back 40 years. I'm pretty sure Sheryl Sandberg will come out of nowhere and slap you if you think about picking up that toaster. Leave kitchen appliances to be bought by her parents, put it on a registry or have her buy it herself.

I hope everyone enjoyed my take on the perfect Valentine's Day gifts! If you were inspired let me know below in the comments! I'll be at home on V-Day watching House of Cards on Netflix...if you ask me things couldn't get any sweeter! Have a great day and remember to spread love 365 not just one day a year!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!