Beth Bakes: Healthy Meals

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Hey everyone! I have a lot of exciting recipes that are both easy to make and healthy to indulge! For those of you that follow me on Instagram you'll notice a lot of my photos have hash tags like #loveyourbody and #tiuteam. That's because I've been following the Tone It Up nutrition plan and weekly schedules as a part of their Love Your Body Series. It's been an amazing lifestyle change for me and I am truly amazed that in 45 days I have the body I've always wanted.

[Side Note: I'd love to show pictures of my progress from doing the program but my job is very conservative and would not find photos of my abdomen appropriate. While I love my new body, it's not worth losing my awesome job! Hopefully, the next time I do a haul you'll be able to see definition in my arms and legs!]

Being on the Tone It Up nutrition plan, Katrina & Karena (your trainers) encourage you to eat lean, clean & green! Which is really easy to do! The following recipes are some of my own and some I have taken from my favorite food blogs! Enjoy and happy cooking!

Oven-fried tomatoes
Oven-Fried Tomatoes
Over the holiday break my Mom and I went to NYC for a few days. When we went to Red Rooster Harlem, I had fried green tomatoes for the first time. I loved them so much I wanted to make them at home. Well my grocery store doesn't care unripe tomatoes so I had to use ripe ones. For the coating, I used a recipe from Skinnytaste for Oven "Fried" Pickles! These pickles are to die for so I figured the coating would work the same for tomatoes! The tomatoes didn't get as crispy as the pickles but it still satisfied my craving for friend green tomatoes!
Yummy peanut butter, honey & cinnamon on protein waffles!
Protein Waffles with Peanut Butter, Honey & Cinnamon
This is super easy and delicious! Again, in NYC I had a delicious, warm bagel from Peanut Butter & Co. It was smothered in peanut butter, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon! What an amazing combo and all from the genius brain of Jerry Seinfeld!

I decided to take this treat and make it slightly healthier. Instead of using a bagel, I went with two Power Grain waffles from Van's. Two waffles are 180 calories and have 10g of protein! Keep the protein coming with 1tbsp of Reduced Fat Peanut Butter between the two waffles. Then I use about 1/4tsp of honey between the two waffles and add a heavy sprinkle of cinnamon to top it off! Delicious every time!
Creamy Shrimp Pasta
Creamy Shrimp "Pasta"
This recipe comes from the best cook I know... my Mom! This shrimp dish is one of my favorite meals she makes. However, it is a pretty heavy dish. I decided to light things up a bit and revamp the recipe! Mom's dish uses pasta (angel hair), real bacon, cream of shrimp (adding milk to thin it out) and shrimp!

My take on the dish starts with Tofu Shirataki noodles. Don't freak out, these noodles look and taste just like real pasta! Best part is they are only 20 calories per 4oz. serving and contain only 3g of carbs! It's a miracle! Next, in a sauce pan I combine 1 serving of cream of shrimp (don't add milk) and 1 serving of turkey bacon. At the last minute add pre-cooked shrimp to warm them up. Pour the sauce over the noodles and add tomatoes and basil if you like.
Spinach Salad with fruit
Spinach Salad with Fruit
Salads don't have to be boring. That's the one thing I've learned while eating green. My salads are experiments and it's ok to do that because if I doesn't taste good you can pick it out! I have found that my salads are the best when I add fruit to them! The base is always baby spinach sometimes mixes with baby arugula. The protein is either chicken or shrimp (don't judge...until you try it). For veggies, I always have cucumbers. Sometimes I'll throw in bell pepper, red onion and grape tomatoes. For fruit, I love to add apples, asian pears, raspberries, blueberries and/or pomegranate arils.

My favorite creation: Baby spinach, chicken, cucumbers, pomegranate arils & asian pear with a sugar free raspberry vinaigrette. 
Stir-fry stuffed bell pepper
Stir-fry Stuffed Pepper
Remember when I did that entire blog on stuffed dinners? Well here is another stuffed dinner coming your way! This one combines my love of stir-fry and stuffed veggies! Stir-fry is your own interpretation. Use the veggies and protein you like, you can't go wrong. Here is what I used this time: 1 orange bell pepper for stuffing. Filling: shrimp, baby carrots, snap peas and broccoli all coated in a less sodium teriyaki sauce. For directions on cooking the pepper see my stuffed dinner post.
Old Bay "Fries"
Old Bay Parsnip "Fries"
This recipe I found through some internet searching. I knew that parsnips could be disguised as fries but all the recipes were using herbs like rosemary and I detest rosemary. I came across this recipe from Everyday Maven and was smitten. I cut up the parsnips the night before for less prep work the day of. I couldn't believe how delicious these were! I ate mine the first night with a 3oz. portion of seared cod. It was actually my birthday dinner!

I hope you enjoyed these simple & delicious recipes from my own kitchen and the kitchens of fellow bloggers. If you try any of the recipes out let me know your thought in the comments below! Enjoy eating lean, clean & green! Always remember to treat (don't say "cheat" it's a negative word) yourself here and there though!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!