Beth Bakes: World Series Treats

Sunday, October 27, 2013

It's Sunday morning and I'm typing this post with a bird's nest in my hair. It's the result of heavy back combing to achieve my hairstyle I wore to a wedding last night. Any tips on how to get it out without losing 50% of my hair would be much appreciated! I am going to share more details on the wedding in a future post so be on the lookout!

This post is going to be some recipes I made during the week and have deemed them worthy of sharing. I made muffins with pancake mix, a low calorie caramel dip and toffee pretzel bars.

For those of you unaware, it's currently the World Series. This year, the World Series consists of the Boston Red Sox and the St. Louis Cardinals. Even though I live in Pennsylvania, I am a Red Sox fan. My boss is from Massachusetts and shares my love of the Sox too so we decided to have an office tailgate the day of Game 1.

Rockin' red lip stick and my Boston cap!

I brought Blueberry-Strawberry muffins to represent Boston's blue and red uniform colors. The muffins worked like a charm because Boston took Game 1! Everyone that stopped in for our tailgate thought they were a "homerun" so I figured I'd share the recipe.

What you'll need:

2 1/2 cups pancake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup strawberries
3/4 cup blueberries

Blueberry-Strawberry muffins
1. In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth.

2. Next, add the strawberries and blueberries and gently incorporate.

3. Use an ice cream scooper to ensure you get both fruits into each muffin and keep portions the same.

4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until the muffins begins to brown. Test with a toothpick to make sure they are done in the middle.

5. Cool the muffins and enjoy!

I was able to get 20 muffins out of this recipe and each muffin was 110 calories! Treat yo self! If you're going for presentation, reserve a few blueberries and strawberries to press into the top to make sure every muffin has fruit peaking out.

Later in the week, I got hungry for apples and caramel. Caramel is not really calorie counting friendly so I had to find a way to satisfy my craving without ruining my calorie count for the week. I came up with this single serving dip.

Skinny Caramel Dip
What you'll need:

4 tbsp Fat Free/Sugar Free Cool Whip
1/2 tbsp Sugar Free Sundae Syrup (I used Smucker's brand)

1. Simply mix the two ingredients together. You can feel free to add cinnamon if you'd like however, that will change your calorie count.

The dip comes out to be 52 calories per serving. I ate my dip with 77g of a honey crisp apple with it. Making the entire snack 92 calories. I had plenty of dip so I probably could have ate another serving of apple with the same amount of dip.

Dipping my honey crisp in my Skinny Caramel Dip!
The dip has plenty of caramel flavor and the texture is so light and fluffy. It's a great combo with a crisp apple. I will be having this more often!

Last weekend, if you follow me on instagram you'd know I went wine tasting with family and friends. (P.S. Thanks Blair Vineyards for a great time!) You are encouraged to bring your own snack and stay awhile when tasting their wines. I took advantage of that and made a recipe I found on Pinterest.

The recipe was for Pretzel toffee bars to satisfy your sweet and salty cravings. The blogger, Diane, who made them decorated the bars with googly eyes for Halloween, which was super cute but I neglected that step! I forgot to take photos of how my bars came out but just visit Created by Diane and see for yourself. Her photography is amazing and I highly recommend putting her on your list of blogs to read!

That concludes my post for today! I hope you try and enjoy the recipes I shared with you today! Don't forget to comment below with how your creations came out or if you have any food blogger suggestions!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!