Beth Bakes: Stuffed Dinners

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Last week I made my all my dinners revolve around a stuffed vegetable. It all started because I was craving stuffed peppers. I like a challenge, so I decided to see if I could eat stuffed vegetables for the rest of the week. It was success and I'll show you everything I made Monday through Friday!

The best part about these one veg wonders is that there is minimal clean up and perfect for feeding one person (my situation) or a family. Last week was crazy for me so the last thing I want to do after a long day is slave over something for hours and then have to deal with clean up. These dinners are also low calorie meals, so you can eat guilt free for a work week!

Since I mentioned that these dinners are low calorie I'll put the final calorie count for each meal and put the serving sizes I used for each ingredient in parenthesis.
Monday Night



Monday night is where it all began with a simple stuffed pepper. I made this pizza stuffed with pizza toppings. I opted to go with a chicken Margherita pizza pepper. One pepper is 186 calories, see the breakdown below.

What you'll need:

1 Yellow Bell Pepper (139.5grams = 38 calories)
2 ounces Simply Smart Purdue Original Grilled Chicken Strips (73 calories)
1/8 cup Classico Traditional Pizza Sauce (20 calories)
1/4 cup Kraft Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese (45 calories)
2.5 Glory Cherry Tomatoes (10 calories)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top off and discard. Cut out the seed pod and remove all seeds.

2. Take your hollow pepper and begin stuffing with ingredients. I placed some chicken on the bottom, added sauce, tomatoes and cheese and continued the pattern until filled.

3. Line a oven safe bakeware dish with foil. Place filled pepper in the middle. Add about 1/3 cup water to the bottom (makes sure the pepper doesn't burn). Cook for 30 minutes.

4. In the last 5 minutes add some cheese on top and turn on the broiler for a charred top.

Tuesday Night



Tuesday I stuck with the stuffed pepper theme however this time I went Mexican! Mexican food is one of my favorites because I like my food spicy! I used a Kraft Recipe Makers in this meal. I didn't use all of the product so I saved what I didn't use in the meal and used it for chicken taco salad over the weekend! I didn't use cheese or lettuce but obviously you can make this to your own liking. One pepper is 326 calories, see the breakdown below.

What you'll need:

1 Orange Bell Pepper (138grams = 23 calories)
2 ounces Simply Smart Purdue Original Grilled Chicken Strips (73 calories)
3 Glory Cherry Tomatoes (12 calories)
1 cup Green Giant Corn Niblets (120 calories)
1.5 tablespoons Mrs. Cubbison's Tortilla Strips (30 calories)
3/4 cup Kraft Recipe Makers Tex-mex Chicken Fajita (68 calories)


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top off and discard. Cut out the seed pod and remove all seeds.

2. Take your hollow pepper and begin stuffing with ingredients. I had measured too much corn and it wasn't all fitting in so I had corn on the side as well.

3. Line a oven safe bakeware dish with foil. Place filled pepper in the middle. Add about 1/3 cup water to the bottom (makes sure the pepper doesn't burn). Cook for 30 minutes.

4. Top the pepper with the tortilla strips (they'll get too soggy if you bake them in the pepper) and salsa.

Wednesday Night


Here we have the stuffed BLT tomato! This was easy to prepare and requires zero cook time! I made this the morning before work and ate it hours later and it was just as fresh. Using the precooked and crumbled bacon saved time and clean up however you can feel free to make your own bacon. I added the lunch meat to my BLT to make it more filling since this was dinner. One tomato is 205 calories (if you use the wing sauce), see the breakdown below.

What you'll need:

1 Vine Ripe Tomato (3.9 ounces = 25 calories)
56 grams Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Turkey Breast Oven Roasted (50 calories)
2 tablespoons Hormel Real Bacon Pieces (50 calories)
9 grams Lettuce (2 calories)
1/2 tablespoon Miracle Whip or Mayo (20 calories)
1/2 tablespoon Wing Time Buffalo Wing Sauce (optional - 12 calories)

1. Cut the top off and discard. Take a spoon and carve out the seeds but leave some flesh.

2. Combine all your ingredients in a bowl and make sure everything is coated evenly with Miracle Whip or Mayo and Hot sauce (optional).

3. Take your hollow tomato and begin stuffing it with the ingredients you just mixed up!

4. If you won't be eating right away, wrap tomato in tin foil and place in air tight storage and in the refrigerator until ready to eat.

Thursday Night


Thursday night I resorted back to the stuffed pepper. This time I filled it with pasta salad! I cooked this one in the oven but in hindsight I wouldn't have cooked the filling. As you can see the noodles on top got dried out. Below I'll give you the instructions for how I would make it again, not how I made it that night. One pepper is 218 calories, see the breakdown below.

What you'll need:

1 Red Bell Pepper (149grams = 38 calories)
1 ounce Market Pantry Farfalle - Vegetable Medley (100 calories)
3 ounces Baby Cucumbers (15 calories)
4 Glory Cherry Tomatoes (16 calories)
1/4 cup Kraft Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese (45 calories)
1/2 tablespoon Kraft Free Italian Dressing (4 calories)
Oregano and Parsley (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the top off and discard. Cut out the seed pod and remove all seeds.

2. Line a oven safe bakeware dish with foil. Place filled pepper in the middle. Add about 1/3 cup water to the bottom (makes sure the pepper doesn't burn). Cook for 30 minutes.

3. While your pepper is cooking bring water to a boil and cook pasta as directed on the box.

4. Once the pasta is cooked and drained add to a bowl. In the same bowl, add tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, dressing and optional seasoning. Mix together.

5. Once the pepper is out of the oven, carefully stuff with ingredients. Enjoy!

Friday Night


It was time to kick off the weekend with stuffed zucchini chicken cheese steaks. I prepped my zucchini the night before by slicing it down the middle and carving out the flesh in the middle, making zucchini boats. I stored the zucchini over night in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Next time I think I will add sauteed onions. Together both zucchini boats total 222 calories, see the breakdown below.

What you'll need:

1 Zucchini (127 grams = 21 calories)
3 ounces Purdue Fit & Easy Ground Chicken (120 calories)
1 1/4 slice Kraft 2% Milk Reduced Fat American Cheese (56 calories)
1 tablespoon Wing Time Buffalo Wing Sauce (optional - 25 calories)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice your zucchini down the middle and begin carving out the middle flesh with a spoon.

3. Cook the ground chicken on the stove top and season as you like.

2. Take your zucchini boats and begin stuffing with the cooked ground chicken. Add the hot sauce on top of the chicken if you wish to use it. Then cover with American cheese.

3. Line a oven safe bakeware dish with foil. Place filled zucchini boats in the middle. Cover the top with foil. Cook for 30 minutes.

I hope you enjoyed these quick and easy stuffed vegetable recipes! I have to say I really enjoyed this challenge and will be thinking of more ways to stuff my veggies!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!