Beth Bakes: Fall is Here!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Hey friends...I'm backkkkk! I have restored internet to my macbook without paying $310 to Apple! I'd like to make a quick shout out to Panda Wireless for making that happen! I bought a simple USB wifi adaptor off Amazon for $12.99! Problem solved!

We have a been apart for too long that the seasons have changed! It's now Fall here in Pennsylvania but it's still pretty warm and sunny (highs in the 80s this week) so the leaves haven't begun to change.

Nonetheless, it's still Fall and so I have been cooking and baking for the season. I'd like to share a couple recipes that I've made over the last two weeks and show you how I've been getting ready for the holiday season!

I am very close with my family and we regroup on Sundays for a family dinner (minus my Sissy, although she is always welcome). Lately, I have not been coming over empty handed. Last week I made Homemade Pumpkin Soup with Maple Syrup, Apples & Bacon. I know you're thinking disgusting but it was amazing!



This recipe is NOT my own. I found it in the Food Network magazine's extra booklet that features 50 things to make with canned pumpkin! This recipe combines #1 & #2. I tweaked the recipe by not cooking the apples in butter.

What You'll Need:

1 15oz. can pumpkin
2 cups chicken broth (not stock)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoons maple syrup (not the artificial stuff you put on pancakes)
1 cubed Granny Smith apple (I peeled mine too)
Bacon as desired (I used 4 strips)

Directions:

1. Simmer can of pumpkin, chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, pumpkin pie spice and maple syrup in a sauce pan.

2. Whisk for 5 minutes.

3. Once soup is warm, transport yo bowls and garnish with cubed apples and bacon on top!

Isn't that the world's easiest recipe?? It looks and tastes like you spent so much time on it though! The soup was well received and will be a new fall classic for sure!

This week I decided to switch gears from savory to sweet! My Dad loves to snack on cookies and every Sunday my mom and I pick some up for him at the Fresh Market. This week I decided I would bake him myself. The following recipe is my own and I the inspiration was from my Cranberry Bran Vitatops that I eat during the work week.

My Honey Bran-Cran Cookies
Beth's Honey Bran-Cran Cookies

What You'll Need:

Cookie
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 original bran cereal (I choose you use Fiber One brand)
1/2 cup craisins (I used a reduced sugar variety)

Glaze
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
4 teaspoons milk (I used 2%)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, honey and egg with electric mixer on medium until smooth.

3. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and use the electric mixer on low until everything is combined.

4. Add bran cereal and dried cranberries using a spatula.

5. Place dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet (I used a Silpat on my cookie sheet) about 2 inches apart.

6. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookies and cool for 2 minutes. Then transfer cookies to parchment paper to cool for another 15 minutes.

7. In a small bowl, mix the confectioner's sugar and milk until sugar dissolves. Drizzle over cookies.

Another easy, fall recipe! These treats are about 100 calories per cookie. The bran cereal makes for a filling snack while the craisins give a hint of sweetness. I plan on remaking these cookies and adding almond extract to the glaze next time! Enjoy these cookies with a glass of apple cider like I did!


Hope you enjoyed these recipes and I also hope you are excited that the blog is back up and running! I'll have many more fun posts in the coming weeks! I will leave you with some photos of my front stoop!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!