Rave & Review: Skinsense

Sunday, May 19, 2013

I'm here to introduce you to a new brand of natural skin products. The brand is called Skinsense. It's locally owned and operated here in Pennsylvania. However, Skinsense is available everyone online here!

Skinsense stash!


I have been using Skinsense since Christmas and have fallen in love with the products. I don't want to brag but I get compliments on my skin all the time. Not to mention that people still ask me if I'm in college or even high school. I mean, I work at a high school but my school days are long over. I'll give you my secrets to my youthful skin:

1. Hydrate with water throughout the day.
2. I get plenty of sleep.
3. I take Biotin and a daily multi-vitamin.
4. Eat a healthy diet.
5. I use Skinsense!
I got to talk with owner and creator, Trish Bechtel. Check out what she had to say about Skinsense before you read my reviews! Some of the products in the review I purchased with my own money and others Trish has sent me for review.

Haute in Hell: Why did you start your business?
Trish Bechtel: "The idea for Skinsense came from a need to sooth our sons cracked itchy skin.  He was so young that steroids, the normally prescribed medication, were too harsh.  I have a degree in horticulture and believe that you can find almost everything you need from nature. In 2012, we found a formula that healed our son's skin within a week. In November, our family decided to start marketing our product for the Christmas season, and we have had great word of mouth success."  


HIH: How did you come up with the name, Skinsense?

TB: "To put it simply, it just made sense.  My husband actually coined the phrase.  He wasn't the holistic type before we started this venture, however once he saw the benefits on our son he tells everyone 'Skinsense is just common sense.'"

HIH: Are your products all natural?
TB: "I like to say that if I can't pronounce it, it will not go into my products.  All of our products are made from natural, organic ingredients and if possible I grow as much as I can myself.  We grow our own aloe, chamomile, calendula, peppermint, lavender, rosemary, and lemon thyme.  What we cannot grow, we buy organic and local as much as possible. We always use organic and will not skimp the quality for price, that isn't the kind of product I wish to produce."


HIH: Do you make all of the products yourself?

TB: "Apart from the bulk apothecary needs for ingredients such as bricks of glycerin and certain oils such as olive oil or hemp oil in which I do not have the equipment to manufacture, all of the products are made and poured by hand.  We made everything in small batches to ensure the quality."

HIH: Are you working on any new products?

TB: "I am continually working on new products and new scents. Some scents are seasonal, and some are for a limited time.  I have just started pouring my own soy based candles.  And I am working on a recycled soap sak, which is forming into a cross between a loofah and a wash cloth that will actually hold a bar of soap within it and be able to hang in your shower."

Oatmeal Mask - 4oz.
Skinsense oatmeal mask
I purchased this mask during the wintertime and it was a lifesaver. I didn't have a patch of dry skin all winter long! I use this mask on the weekends mostly when I have time to sit back and relax. It leaves my skin feeling baby skin soft and smooth. The product smells light and fresh with the rosemary and grapefruit ingredients coming through the most.
My label is blurry because I keep my container in the shower!
After a warm shower, I put a little bit of the powder on my hands and add water until it becomes a paste. Once in paste form, I spread it evenly onto my face. I then let the mask do it's work for about 15 minutes, or until it comes dry and I feel my skin begin to tighten. I then rinse with cool water to close my pores.

The 4 oz. jar retails for $8.00 and is available in Honey Pot Almond, Rosemary and Face Fix scents. I'm unsure which scent I have, but if I had to guess it would be the Face Fix because the ingredients seem similar.

Sweet Sugar Kiss Scrub - 8oz.
Skinsense sweet sugar kiss scrub
Hands down my favorite product! I have always incorporate exfoliating into my skincare routine. Without exfoliating, you'll never get that super soft, smooth skin. You need to make sure you are removing the dead skin. I was using Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Body Intensive Exfoliating Treatment ($65).  However, I will not be going back now that I have found Skinsense.

The scent alone makes this an instant favorite. Honey Pot Almond is addicting. I find myself just opening the lid to get whiff. This scent is guy approved: I had a guy friend smell it and he enjoyed the scent. The sugar scrub comes in the following scents cocoNuts, Honey Pot Almond, Midnight Walk, Va-Va-Vanilla, Ylang Ylang Bouquet and Lovely Lavender. The 8 oz. container is $12.00.

Get smooth, soft skin while smelling great too!
I use this product after a nice warm shower. My pores are open and I can scrub away and really get a deep clean. The sugar crystals are large and rough which makes for the perfect exfoliate. Sprinkle a little bit in your hand and rub in circles over your entire body. Let it set for two minutes and then rinse off with cool water to close the pores. Trish recommends using this product before shaving so you can get a closer, smoother shave! Don't forget to use lotion after exfoliating to calm the skin and keep your skin feeling super soft.

Pep in Your Step Foot Scrub - 4 oz.
Skinsense pep in your step foot scrub
I asked Trish to send me the foot scrub because I was super intrigued. I do scrub the bottoms of my feet with a plastic scrubber but have never used a salt scrub. I cringe every time I go for a pedicure because the esthetician tickles my feet! I'd much rather keep them clean on my own so I can skip that step when I get a pedicure.

When you open the container you get the peppermint scent immediately. What a great, fresh scent for your feet! The 4 oz. container is sold for $8.00.

Sweeten your feet with a peppermint scrub!
I took a little bit in my hands after my shower and rubbed it all over my feet. It tickled a little but I could handle it! After, I put the scrub on I used my plastic wand scrubber and really got all the dead skin off. I noticed as I was scrubbing I was really smelling the peppermint. I think all the scrubbing was activating the peppermint oils! After I was done scrubbing I washed my feet off.

Signature Lotion Sense - 8oz.
Skinsense signature lotion sense
Who doesn't love trying out new lotions? I'm always trying new lotions, everything from drugstore to speciality stores. I received this lotion from Trish in the scent Lovely Lavender. The other scents available are Olive Oil, Citrus Basil Breeze, cocoNuts, Honey Pot Almond, Midnight Walk, Va-Va-Vanilla, Barefoot Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang Bouquet. You get 8 oz. of lotion for $7.50.


Great smelling, moisturizing lotion!
The lotion goes on smooth and soaks into skin easily without leaving you with a greasy feel. The lotion has a great soothing, calming smell of lavender. Even hours later I can smell it on my skin. Another thing is the bottle isn't hard to squeeze, product comes out easily.


Oatmeal Bar
Skinsense oatmeal bar
This bar is what started it all for me. I purchased this bar at the same time I got the oatmeal mask. I have sensitive skin and in the winter I tend to get very dry and itchy skin. I'm happy to report that I did not have dry, scaly skin this winter and I think I owe it to using this bar!

Stop dry skin in it's tracks with this oatmeal bar!
I use the bar in the shower or in the bath after shaving my legs. Since oatmeal is bland when you eat it, this bar doesn't really have a scent. I  use my regular scented body wash first so I can have that fresh scent after my shower. I then use the oatmeal bar to bring moisture to my skin. I love it when I get a chunk of an oat on my skin! With summer approaching, I think this will be essential to soothe sunburn.

My Mom gets hers without the oats on the bottom.
The bar sells for $4.50. If you don't like the rolled oats on the bottom of the bar you can let Trish know and she can make a regular bar with out the oats on the bottom or even make pretty decorative soaps with the same formula as the bar just minus the extra oats. To be honest, I love the oats because it helps you keep control of the bar without it slipping away from you!

Face Fix Bar
Skinsense face fix bar
I use the face fix bar for during the week when I don't have time to use the oatmeal mask. The face fix bar has very similar ingredients such as grapefruit, rosemary and ginger as the oatmeal mask. I love how you can see all of the fresh ingredients trapped in the bar. The bar costs $4.50.


Brighten your skin tone with this face fix bar!
I always wash my face in the shower. I use an all natural cleanser from Neutrogena that works very well and protects against breakouts. Since I am not ready to give up my Neutrogena cleanser I will be using the face fix bar every other day. The bar lathers really well and makes my face squeaky clean. However, my only complaint is that it doesn't remove my mascara like the Neutrogena cleanser. It doesn't bother me that much but it does create another step for me after I get out of the shower. 

Bonus! Skinsense Lip Balm
Skinsense lip balm
As you know I am a nail polish addict. Well, I must admit that I am also a lip balm addict too. In every purse I have at least two balms or chapsticks with me at all times. This is a cute tin of clear lip balm. It makes my lips feel soft and smooth, not sticky. I didn't notice a scent or taste which doesn't bother me. Not sure if it has SPF or not. I think I will keep the next to my bed so I can apply it before bedtime.


Keep your lips kissable smooth with this lip balm!
This balm is not available for sale. You can get your hands on this balm as a perk. Earn it when you spend a lot on an order or you can find it in certain gift baskets.



I hope this blog post opened your eyes to buying local and buying natural, organic beauty/skin products. The best part about Skinsense is that you are getting quality products made with TLC without breaking the bank! Trish is all about making her customers feel special and making sure they get what they want. Special requests will not upset her! Make sure to comment below and let me know what products you're going to try and once you get them let me know how much you love them! 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!