Lay's Flavor Finalist - Sriracha

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In case you didn't know, Lay's is having a "Do Us a Flavor" contest. There are three flavor finalists: Sriracha, Chicken & Waffles and Cheesy Garlic Bread. This is my brief and but hopefully informative review of the Sriracha flavor.

I said this would be a brief review because I am not a chef nor do I have an extensive palate. I am a proud picky eater.

I found my bag of chips at the local Weis Markets. I purchased the chips for $3.50 with my awesome Weis gold memeber card (move over amex black card).

Sriracha Bag Design


At first glance, I like the bag. I love the bright red color which goes with the sriracha's red color and also indicates spicy. Sriracha, for those who have never had/heard of it, is an Asian hot sauce.

When you flip the back over you'll naturally find the nutritional information and ingredients listed. There are 150 calories per 17 chips, which out of the three flavor flavor finalists is the lowest calorie count. I mean they are potato chips so that doesn't mean they are healthy.

The ingredients for sriracha sauce are chili, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite and xanthan gum. The ingredients for the sriracha chip flavoring has chili powder, salt and garlic powder. However, it also has cream, cheddar and Swiss cheeses. Odd.



I opened the bag and could smell the spices escape with the air. Next, I reached in the bag and popped a chip into my mouth.

Sriracha chip detail

Immediately, I was hit with a spicy and smokey taste. I must mention that I am a big fan of anything spicy. I literally put my favorite wing sauce on EVERYTHING! I thought that the chips tasted of a spicy bar-b-que. I am not a fan of bar-b-que chips and so when I really start to taste the smokey and less spicy flavors I put the chips down. 

I'm not a big "junk food" eater so I would say I would only re-purchase these chips for a social gathering. I have my guard up on what Chicken & Waffles and Cheesy Garlic Bread are going to taste like so right now my vote goes to Sriracha.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!